Planning out a database can seem like an overwhelming process. We admit it is a BIG project but done right it can help you organize and grow your business. At JN Software we are going to give you some of our insider secrets of what information you’ll need to consider before you build the database of your dreams that will bring your business to the next level.
When planning your database project make sure to consider these factors:
What Is Your Data?
At its core a database is multiple pieces of information related to each other. Can you make a list of all the information you need to track?
- For example, let’s say you want a contact list. What information do you want for each contact?
- Name – Just one name? Or separate fields for First and Last Name?
- Address – Do you need their street address? Or just email address?
- Phone Number – Do you also need their fax number? Could one contact have multiple phone numbers? Do you care to differentiate between home and cell number? Do you need to assign one phone number as their primary phone number?
- While even a simple example like this can sound complex, once you start writing it down it’s a lot easier than it looks and JN Software is here to help you make the best choices and fill in the gaps with our experience.
How will information get into your database?
- Manual entry – users typing information directly into user friendly forms
- Loaded from input files from other existing databases, departments, companies, etc.
- .csv file
- Flat files
Where does data need to go out from your database?
- Automated emails
- CSV/flat files for upload into other systems
- Custom printouts/PDF files
- Customized Excel files for use by others
Click here for more information on our database services.
Speak to one of our Consultants at (416) 264-6247 or email@example.com for your free database assessment to get your database plans started, and to take your business to the next level.